An easy way to pack nutrition into your day and not lose time in the morning, is to begin your day with a smoothie or shake full of vitamins, protein and awesome flavor! Since trying Beachbody, and choosing not to drink Shakeology, I’ve spoken to a lot of people who use a lot of different shakes. Most of the women I’ve spoken to have their own reasons for drinking what they do, from how it tastes to who it makes them feel. I’ve heard about Advocare, Shakeology, and my personal favorite: GNC’s Lean shakes.
Justin and I have actually been drinking GNC’s shakes for close to six or seven years. It’s an easy breakfast and it tastes good. On weekends I usually have time to make something special, but during the week, you can bet you’ll find me in the kitchen with the blender making something good for the both of us. He likes his with skim milk and an ice cube and I like mine with water and an ice cube (less calories + less sugar in my shake= more calories for yellow containers).
Lately our shakes did get more complicated. I still make Justin his chocolate shake, but I’ve added some OOMPH to mine, the idea is courtesy of my good friend Sarah, who has also been drinking the GNC shakes through her 21 Day Fix challenge. She suggested that I put a handful of spinach into my shake in the morning, in order to get one more “green box” into my day.
I’ll admit, I was skeptical, but after trying it, despite its Wicked Witch of the West appearance, this stuff doesn’t taste any different, and I feel good knowing I’ve added something even healthier to my day. (I’m still working to convince Justin and Lydia didn’t fall for it 😉 )
Speaking of which, as fall comes and temps are dropping, I want to continue to drink healthy shakes, but I don’t want to feel bored. So I’d like to share a few other ingredients and recipes that you can use to “spice up” or “Nutrition-Up” your morning shake.
- Pumpkin Pie! Use 1/2 C pumpkin puree (not pie filling) in your shake. If you like chocolate or vanilla flavored protein shakes and you like pumpkin, then this mix will be for you! Want to be even more “festive”? Add a 1/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice in too!
- Apple Pie! Peel an apple and chop it up. Then add it to your vanilla shake. Use 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of maple syrup. Liquefy and enjoy!
- Oatmeal Cookie! Add these ingredients to your vanilla shake. 1/2 T of cocoa powder, 1/3 cup of instant oats, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, and 1/2 a banana. Blend to liquid state and enjoy!
- Pop-Eye Berry Up! Using vanilla or a berry flavored protein, add 1/2 cup of spinach, 1/2 cup of blueberries, and 1/2 a banana (maybe the half you froze after your oatmeal cookie smoothie?) Blend and drink down your own tasty, muscle building, green beverage!!
- Cranberry Orange Chocolate Blast! This recipe combines some great fall flavors and gives you a nice punch of vitamin C as well. To your chocolate protein and water, add 3/4 C of frozen cranberries, 1/2 a banana, 1/4 C orange juice, and 1 tsp of honey. You’ll get a lot of flavor and a lot of sweet. You could make this without the orange juice, if you’re trying to cut back on the sweet!
Look in your freezer, get inspired by your latte, find something new to add to your smoothie and enjoy a new flavor tomorrow morning!